Friday, February 5, 2010

Guys only! Help, I have a roofing nail-sized hole in the hull of my aluminum jon boat. Can you help?

I want something permanent but I also want to be able to go out in it tomorrow. There has to be a quick fix that will do the trick, I just don't know what it is. Can anyone help?Guys only! Help, I have a roofing nail-sized hole in the hull of my aluminum jon boat. Can you help?
Go to an auto parts store %26amp; get a rubber plug that has a screw through it, so that when you tighten the screw it expands the plug to seal the hole. Get one closest to the size you need(must go through the hole) and drill the hole larger a bit until the unexpanded plug fits snugly through the hole. After it's inserted into the hole tighten the screw until it seals tightly. This is the type of repair plug used to replace freeze plugs or stripped out oil drain plugs and they come in various sizes. Leave it in for the life of the boat.Guys only! Help, I have a roofing nail-sized hole in the hull of my aluminum jon boat. Can you help?
an aluminium rivit thats the same size? an aluminium nail in the same spot?
J %26amp; B weld works great. Get it at any hardware store. Their is a variety that will set up in 4 hours.
Another thing you can do is to get some epoxy putty and mix the two parts together and knead them into a nice soft mass, roll it into a ball and jam it into a hole. It will set up nice and hard in a matter of minutes and you are good to go.





This will also work for the idiots on here who keep asking how to get hard nipples.
Excuse me?!? But why would you ASSUME that only a guy would be able to answer the question. Stop being so sexist.
Their is a mix called Brolite which is two parts, (Black %26amp; Yellow) you mix them under water in a small amount, it turns green when mixed, you apply it to the boat hull and you are sea ready that day. it will harden over several weeks and becomes as hard as the original surface.
Im not a guy, but I have a hole in my boat to, so I will check back to get a answer. Good luck
Well forget it. I'm a girl and I know the friggin answer but you had to smart off and ask guys only...........





Obviously YOU DIDN'T KNOW how to fix it.......
A quick fix is to put a small stainless steel pan-head screw with a penny washer each side and lock off with a nut. Sealant between the penny washers is advisable. Alternatively, tig weld an aluminiun patch approx an inch square on the outside.
my best suggestion is a good quality 2 part epoxy or a fiber glass patch or drill and tap it plug with a screw and some rtv
quickest fix for tomorrow would be to go to a hardware store and grab a box of screws (same size as the nail) with the rubber washer on them. the washer will seal it until you can fix it for good.
i'd say just patch it up. hay ease up on the ladies alright
go to a hardware store. Ask for jB weld.............

No comments:

Post a Comment