Friday, February 5, 2010

My puppy just ate a 'thumb nail' sized rock!?

My little poodle puppy, having a really naughty puppy brain, just ate a thumbnail sized ROCK. My dad, was scolding her, and apparently, she got nervous that he was going to take it away, swallowed it with one big gulp. I'm really afraid this will hurt her, or block her digestive system, or something like that! She seems fine right now, and is sleeping quite peacefully... but what should I do? Do I have to 'make her vomit' to get the rock out? Will she be able to digest it? (She's about 20 weeks old.) HELP!My puppy just ate a 'thumb nail' sized rock!?
She'll puke it up when she needs too. My dog used to eat bouncy balls and things similar and then puke it up all the time. If not take her to a vet.My puppy just ate a 'thumb nail' sized rock!?
She won't be able to digest it. It will most likely just pass through her system. Do watch for signs of blockage and call the vet if you think she's having trouble.





Let your dad know that scolding a puppy who has something she shouldn't have isn't a great idea. It's better to just calmly trade her a good treat or toy for the object in her mouth, then work on teaching her to 'give' or 'drop it' on command.
Well if the rock wasn't too big, maybe she will pass it with no problem, but if you see any major changes in her, like if she seems in pain, then I would definitely take her to the vet asap.
Most dogs would be able to pass a rock that size or possibly vomit it up themselves if necessary. Unless you see signs of pain, lethargy, loss of appetite I wouldn't worry.
No it will pass.


It wont hurt them.


But I wouldnt encourage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment