Sunday, February 7, 2010

I have a LOT of trouble clipping my dog's nails. Med. size dog. Any suggestions? (He is a strong one)?

My dog is one of three min-pin and fox terr. mixes. The other two are fine, but he freaks. Not even my husband can keep him still. I am scared to hold too tight thinking I might break his legs when he squirms, but if I don't hold tight enough he can pull away when I have the clippers on him and it will do more damage. I have tried using treats and a dog harness, but nothing works.I have a LOT of trouble clipping my dog's nails. Med. size dog. Any suggestions? (He is a strong one)?
If he is such a difficult case that you can't get them clipped even with your husbands assistance then he is probably a candidate to go to the groomers or vet's office for this. Often a pet will allow the staff in one of these offices to get the job done, especially if you are not in the room. They tend to ';freeze'; up and fight less when it's not mommy and daddy doing the work. If they are unable to do it, then another option is sedation by the vet. You might also try filing the nails every few days with a big nail file, some dogs will tolerate this better than the nail clippers. Some trainers who show dogs actually use a Dremel tool to round off the nails. Good luck to youI have a LOT of trouble clipping my dog's nails. Med. size dog. Any suggestions? (He is a strong one)?
Thanks for choosing my answer. I hope things are working out better.

Report Abuse



If nothing is working, you can take him to a vet or a groomer and have them clip the nails. It's not expensive and you won't have to worry about cutting the quick and struggling to cut his nails, the next time he needs them trimmed.
If you tried everything and you can't do it take him to the vet. They can do it faster than you and it is pretty cheap procedure. It is worth the trip. I have a Chihuahua and he is really scared. I had to get my daughter to hold him and I had to get a muzzle to clip his. It was quite a job. By the time I got to the back he was a little less nervous. Every time you do it he should get less nervous and easier to do, if it is a good experience for him. Make sure you don't cute too short and hit the quick. That really hurts and then he might be worst the next time you try. Some people say do one nail a day so he won't be stressed till he gets used to it. I found it was better for my dog to just get them all done and over with. You could try getting him comfortable with having his feet touched and messed with and not doing anything. When he is more comfortable with that start the actual cutting. Evita
My dog has a problem with this too.





We have the dog sit and then my fiance stands over her, holding her with his legs (not too tight!). Then he holds her paw from behind while I hold it with one hand and clip with the other.





Get your husband to stand over your dog and hold it. That way the dog won't be able to squirm as much.





Also, I've noticed if I talk the whole time I'm doing it, it really relieves some of the stress for my dog.
If you have tried everything and you still can't manage to do it, just take him to a nearby Petsmart and they will cut the nails for a small price.

No comments:

Post a Comment