Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Nail size for floor?

I am going to lay a floor using 19mm (3/4';) thick tounge %26amp; groove Yellow Stringy Bark (a hardwood) What size nails should I use?


I am doing it by hand, no gun, no glue no fluting or pseudo screws please. I just want to know what size 'bullet' heads I should use.





the joists are hard wood tooNail size for floor?
I'd use 6 penny nails.Nail size for floor?
yes 6penny
Let me see. 9 inch nails for the hands and feet so my guess would be 12 inch for the floor.
I have never heard of stringy bark,but I will take tour word for it. If the joists are hardwood you are going to have a hard time driving the nails which should be #6 or #8. You really should consider a nailing tool that you can rent. One lick with the hammer and the nail is in.
with out a numatic gun, you will have to predrill all your holes. a 6d should work for you. i would get a gun.
Installing a hardwood floor by hand-nailing is not recommended by flooring contracting professionals!





Get yourself to a Home Depot and rent a Bostitch pneumatic nailer and use with 1.5';-2'; staple nails. Nail the top of the tongue at a 45-degree angle and put 3-4 nails per flooring piece. Slide the next piece in and repeat.





Installing it this way will be faster, and the flooring will be tighter.
#6 Finish nails.Is there a subfloor ? Without it you will have a lot of waste. If this flooring is like all that I have seen. Thent the longest piece will be 4 feet,unless it is extremely old or special order. you will probably have to drill every piece to prevent breaking the tongue then set the nail with a nail set that is the reason for finish nails. They rent a hardwood flooring hand nailer that you load with nails and strike the hammerdrive with a hard rubber mallet which drives the nail at the right angle and depth It also helps to pull the flooring tight together. The link below might help

No comments:

Post a Comment