Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Blocking between Roof rafters/ceiling joists Size nail and Toe nail OK?

Hi,


I am adding a garage to my house. I have the roof framed. The plans say that there needs to be blocking between each set of Roof rafters/ceiling joists. (The CJ and RR are butted up next to each other) Can I toe nail the blocking into the RR and CJ? If so what size nail should I use? Are 10D's OK? Is there a better way? Thanks for your time.





pb4scBlocking between Roof rafters/ceiling joists Size nail and Toe nail OK?
End nailing is always the best. However, toe nailing can be done. 10D is ok to toe nail. However, I would use 16D on all of it. The blocking is done to keep the building from racking and adds strength when connecting blocking to both rafters and joists. So take care to firmly connest these together.


Good luck!Blocking between Roof rafters/ceiling joists Size nail and Toe nail OK?
sure you can toe nail but to save your self some time chalk a line and zig-zag the boards, this way you can hammer the nails straight into the blocks from both sides of the rafters, i would use 12s or 16s [ i believe a 12d is the min. to be up to code]

No comments:

Post a Comment